Friday, December 21, 2007

CHICKPEA CUTLETS; THEY'RE HERE!

That's right, I was finally able to make these and they were so good my mother ate them without gravy! and went back for seconds (trust me on how huge this is, this woman won't eat pasta and goes back to kfc to make sure they give her breast because she won't eat dark meat and hates to try new things [yeah I know KFC is fucking gross, she's actually stopped going but anyways]).

Here they are in all their glory:















Signing backup are some mashed potatoes (simple version, boil taters, mash with a few tablespoons of EB, done), green beans and "Shit we're out of mushroom gravy and mushrooms emergency gravy" which was the best gravy James has apprently ever had (Jame's is a omni so this is a good sign).
















Shit we're out of mushroom gravy and mushrooms emergency gravy
A Note: This Gravy is insanely thick, if the prospect of thick gravy puts you off add some water and stir (or soy milk or veggie broth or wine if you like that kinda thing).
  • 2 cups of Veggie broth (I used boxed, because I am lazy and don't care about sodium and heart attacks, homemade would work just as well if not better)
  • 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
  • Spices suggested: Black pepper (fresh), rosemary, sage, thyme, sea salt, Paprika and lots of it
  • oil
I used the cast Iron pan I had just finished cooking the cutlets in, add oil and fry garlic and onions until translucent , soft, and fragrant. As onions cook spice with suggested spices (or any favorites of your own), add more oil if it sticks. Off the stove whisk your flour with the broth and set aside. Once the onions are done to your liking, slowly add the broth flour mixture (You will probably need to re-whisk a little before hand). Keep stirring!! It will thicken a lot and continue to thicken if left alone and well, it pretty much just keeps thickening, again if you like it thinner add some liquid and keep stirring. Turn down heat and simmer, stir to prevent burning. Once heated serve and enjoy. Again I like onions in my gravy, if you want something "smooth" then I suppose you could strain it, but I would suggest thinning it first as the thickness of this gravy (seriously I am not kidding you, its thick) would make a big mess of your strainer, but if you Ian, have some fetish for dish duty or are not on dish duty proceed sans thinning.

The beans are nothing special just frozen beans microwaved with some Earth Balance (ew I know, but they weren't soo bad).

No comments: