Saturday, October 11, 2008

Sometimes things just don't go right




For example me and following recipes. Measuring and following a set path is something I always find myself drifting from. I don't sift. Measures are half assed at best, mostly guess work.

That being said, I love recipes and cookbooks. I read them like novels and my collection is always expanding. From cookbooks exploring the divine world of vegan gourmet, damn tasty food and the simple "students" cookbooks which contain more ideas than insight into the culinary world.

For example here is a dish from one such student cookbooks which sounds good in theory but needs a little something on flavour. Not sure what that will be yet, it was edible, maybe even ok, but it could be so much better.

Broccoli Soba with spicy peanut sauce, leaves a little to be desired. All the flavours are there but down played, I saved some sauce to fix up later and will post about the results. Fresh broccoli would improve this dish immediately. Up the ginger, the garlic and the peanuts because frankly it was a little bland.

The concept is good and this would be palatable for the masses, but I find myself craving more flavour. Perhaps the addition of hot sauce and roast nuts. The sauce needs to be richer, but when on a time restraint its a filling meal thats easy to make. Good hot or cold, I'll get back to you on my additions.

No comments: