Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veganmofo: The Magic of Fortune Cookies


Ok, so this isn't the most foodie post. But I'm a big fan of the psychological component of food. How food makes us feel, gets us through hard times, triggers memories and generally plays into our lives in a variety of hooky ways. Food Psychology, would be something I'd like to study.


But I digress. A few months ago we went to Kings Palace for some vegan dishes and on the way out I scored a fortune cookie. Which I then placed into my jacket pocket and promptly forgot about, was occasionally prodded by etc. But it sat there.. waiting.


Today, many many months later, this battered and broken shell of a cookie brushed my hand again. I removed it from my pocket to examine it. Broken, shattered, mostly powder with the little paper fortune half poking out. I tilted the plastic back and forth trying to maneuver the cookie pieces away from the blue printed words. Despite its terribly mistreatment and state, these few pieces held their ground.


I slide open the crinkly plastic and slowly turn the contents upside allowing the powdered cookie and pieces to fall into the grass and gingerly remove the paper slip. Returning the now empty plastic packet to my pocket, I unfold the fortune and it reads.


"You tend to be practical and analytical"


..... In Bed or not.


I might have just been standing at the bus stop, alone, on a cold Autumn day, laughing and smiling to myself as my eyes welled with tears.

No comments: